2024-03-14

Nowecin - history

Nowecin (Neuenhof, Neuhof) is a village adjacent to Leba, and its origins are closely linked to the history of Leba and the Wejher family. The years 1373, 1497, and 1558 have left their mark on the history of Nowecin, as well as Leba.

Beginnings

The establishment of the village of Nowecin is attributed to the Grand Master of the Teutonic Order, Winrich von Kniprode, who held office from 1351 to 1382. The lands of present-day Nowecin were owned by the Wejher family since 1372, which they received from the Teutonic Order.

Storms

The first mentions of storms resulting in sand burial and changing the mouth of the Łeba River date back to the 13th century. The storm of September 15-17, 1497, seriously damaged the old Wejher Castle in Leba. It was then decided to build a new one in a safer area, near Lake Sarbsko, where it stands today as a castle/palace in Nowecin. On January 10-12, 1558, Leba and numerous other cities in Pomerania were hit by another violent storm, which caused enormous damage. At that time, the idea of moving Leba to safer areas, closer to present-day Nowecin, arose. However, not only maritime storms and shifting dunes were the cause of moving Leba, but also local factors (social, economic, legal, political, the ambitions of the Wejher family). The Wejher family, specifically Franciszek and Ernest, from 1550-1558, bought additional plots, arable land, and meadows near Lake Sarbsko. The mayor of Leba and the of Lębork, Ernest Wejher, drew conclusions after the storm, and on January 12, 1558, he bought Modersin, which included land, two houses, and farm buildings. The settlement was called Neuenhof / Neuhof (now Nowecin) by him. Since then, Nowecin has been developed, where a horse stud farm was also established.

Nowecin

The exact date of the establishment of Nowecin is not known, but it is assumed to be the year 1372, making Nowecin over 650 years old. In the area of the Łeba estuary, human settlements existed as early as 5-2 thousand years BC, as evidenced by archaeological excavations. In 1935, a deer antler axe was discovered in Nowecin.

Nowecin - history

Heritage Register

The Polish heritage register for Nowecin includes:
- Palace from 1497 (entry dated 1959-10-01)
- Manor park from the 16th century (entry dated 1979-10-05)
- Evangelical cemetery from the second half of the 19th century (entry dated 1900-01-01)
- Settlement traces from the Stone Age (entry dated 1981-11-09)
- Stone Age settlement (entry dated 1999-11-15)

Traces of settlements from the Stone Age were located in the meadows between "Letniskowa" street and "Lipowa" street in Nowecin.

sources:
- Przegląd Zachodniopomorski 2016/2, Publishing House of the University of Szczecin
- Alicja Świetlicka, Elżbieta Wisławska, Historical Dictionary of Towns and Villages of the Słupsk Voivodeship, Słupsk 1998
- Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa

Website rating: (5.0/5), votes: 2